Nutrition is 80% of your results, and timing your meals properly plays an important role. What you eat pre and post workout can help maximize performance as well as minimize muscle damage and recovery time.
Pre-workout: The goal here is to give your body the fuel and energy it needs for your workout. For that reason, we want a meal high in carbs. Most of our energy comes from carbohydrates. It’s best to eat a full meal containing carbs 2-3 hours before your workout. Keep in mind, the closer your meal is to your workout the smaller it should be.
Here are some examples of what to eat depending on how much time you have between your lift and your meal.
- 2-3 hours before your workout: whole grain toast, chicken and a side salad.
- 2 eggs, whole wheat wrap, avocado and a cup of fruit.
- Ideal protein breakfast meal.
- Within 2 hours: Protein shake with banana and oats. Oatmeal with fruit.
- Ideal protein pancakes.
- Within 1 hour: Greek yogurt and a banana.
- Nutrition bar.
- Toast with peanut butter.
- An ideal protein muffin (or 2)
Post workout is debatably even more important. Properly fuelling your body after you exercise is crucial for results. It’s important to note what your body goes through during exercise. When you’re working out your body uses up its glycogen stores (carbs) for fuel. Your muscles will be partially depleted of glycogen. Some of the protein in your muscles also get broken down and damaged. Eating the right meal after can help stop muscle protein breakdown and help increase muscle protein synthesis (aka muscle growth). To help replenish what you just used it’s important to eat a meal full of carbs and protein. It’s recommended to eat your post workout meal within 45 minutes of your workout. But get it in as soon as possible.
- Chicken with sweet potatoes.
- Turkey and jasmine rice.
- Ideal pulled chicken with plantains.
- Ideal sweet potato crusted chicken with coconut rice.
Luckily at Ideal Nutrition the meals are ready to go so it takes out the hard part for you! No excuse. Get your meal in.