Tips for Staying Healthy When Everyone Around You is Getting Sick
It’s that time of year, COVID-19 or not, when it seems like everyone around you is getting sick. This can be really stressful for people with a lot on their plate, or immunocompromised family members at home. Whatever the case, doing what’s best for your body to stay healthy is extremely important and should be done regardless of your situation!
There are some daily habits you can use to avoid getting sick:
- Wash your hands, often and for a long period of time
- Limit contact with people who are already sick
- Avoid touching your face, so the germs can’t get into your eyes and mouth
- Keep the space around you clean
These four simple steps might seem tedious, but they will really help you when it matters. However, these are very basic - you can do a lot more to take care of your health. In general, there are really important ways to keep your immune system from getting too low.
1. Getting enough sleep at night
- When your body is tired, it won’t have enough energy to fight off whatever illness is fighting its way into your body.
- Most adults need 7-9 hours of sleep per night to stay well-rested.
2. Eat healthy
- The nutrients that your body gets from healthy food are very important.
- The six essential nutrients your body needs are vitamins, minerals, protein, fats, water, and carbohydrates.
- You will not be able to get all of these nutrients from eating poorly.
Below are some foods that boost your immune system when you eat them (any food that contains vitamin C will help!):
- Lots of water
- Green tea
- And many more!
- In general, exercising and staying active = a healthy body
- Deep and full breaths during exercise flush out your lungs
- It helps balance your stress hormones
- Regular exercise will change yourT T-cells (white blood cells) to the ones that are better at fighting off illness
This might seem like an overwhelming amount of information, but most of these are pretty simple. In summary, eat right, move your body, and take extra precautions when you need to.
If you feel like everyone around you is getting sick, you might need to focus on the little things a bit more. But, in general, living a healthy life should keep your body healthy!
To get started on a meal plan full of nutrients, visit https://idealnutritionnow.com/pages/menu and create an account!